Wednesday, 29 August 2012

Another fun day!

I had a really fun day at the hospital yesterday - not!!
I had an appointment for an MRI scan at 12.15pm, which involved a prior visit to the Chemo Unit to have the necessary canulla put in my arm.  The first attempt (on the back of my hand) was painful so was removed, the second (on the inside of my wrist) seemed fine.  It was duly wrapped in a crepe bandage for protection in the hour before my scan.  We went to the hospital cafe where I read the paper and watched hubby drink a lovely cuppa (I had to fast for 3hrs before the scan).  Then we made our way to the MRI Dept, surprised to find the waiting room empty.
I was called in straight away and went into the changing room to remove the top half of my clothing and put it in a locker.  I explained that I had already had the canulla in place and I was put onto the scanner bed.  At this point the radiologist (I think that was his title) said he would check that the canulla was ok by flushing some water through.  Unfortunately this showed that all was not well as the area around the needle site hurt and started to swell.  He explained that if he used that canulla he could not use the full amount of contrast dye, and would have to push it through at a slower speed than usual. He asked if he could try and find another vein to put a canulla in and I agreed.  Fortunately, he found a spot in the crook of my arm that was perfect!
So it was all systems go!  He made me comfy and explained carefully everything that was going to happen, although he knew I had been through the procedure many times before.  I had to practice holding my breath for 14 seconds and passed with flying colours!  The scanner rattled and chugged and I held my breath at the appropriate times while listening to Frank Sinatra through headphones.  It took 1hr 15mins from being called in, to getting out. All went well, as it always does, and eventually I was unplugged.  The nurse (?) put the cap on the canulla after the dye pump was disconnected and I was helped to sit up.  The other nurse in the room shouted "where has all the blood come from?" and I realised that there was blood on the floor, on the scanner bed, on the knee rest, on my gown and on my arm!  It was only because the cap on the canulla had the threads crossed, nothing more sinister than that, but I had to walk through the waiting room covered in blood.  I felt sorry for the poor souls waiting in the room - they must have wondered what they were letting themselves in for! The two canullas were taken out and  I was washed down and free to get dressed and go home!
Now I just need to wait for the scan results next week - after going for a blood test in the Chemo Unit on Monday.  Can't wait to see how that goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment